Welcome to Episode 6: Liquids Matter Too (& Tea)
This is one of the 10 Simple Rules for Healthy Eating
In today’s episode, Nav and I discuss how liquids are a part of nutrition and energy intake. We cover ideas of:
• Tea and coffee are dehydrating. True or false?
• Habits around liquid intake
• Tea (Caffeine, types of tea, any health benefits)
Our suggestions are: Drink mostly water. Some alcohol, coffee and other beverages are fine. You can find a study to show that everything either prevents or causes cancer – alcohol and coffee included. But our take is that the weight of evidence supports including moderate consumption of most beverages. Treat all beverages with calories in them as you would alcohol. You can have them because you like them, but you shouldn’t consume them as if you need them.
Thanks for listening to the Eat Real Food Podcast.
Yours in good health,
Tim & Nav
- Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance, a review (Pubmed)
- Comparing black tea and water for hydration, a randomised, controlled trial (Pubmed)
- Are coffee and tea dehydrating? (BBC)
- The good and the bad of coffee (ABC)
- Busting the ‘8 glasses of water a day’ myth
We’re always keen to hear from you and would love to receive your comments and feedback below. :)