This is a fun recipe for the kids in the school holidays and a nutritious alternative to store bought varieties. Like me, you may find yourself trying to convince people these vegetarian sausage rolls are actually meat free!
- 3 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup walnuts, raw
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon low salt soy sauce
- 150g low fat feta cheese
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons mixed dried herbs
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 12 mushrooms, grated
- 3 sheets puff pastry
- Spray olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, raw
- Place eggs, garlic, walnuts, onion, soy sauce and feta in a blender and combine
- Place breadcrumbs, oats, herbs, carrots and mushrooms in a large mixing bowl. Add blended ingredients and stir until combined.
- Place the puff pastry sheets separated on the bench and allow to soften slightly.
- Line the edge of a pastry sheet with 1/3 of the mixture. Roll the sheet, spray with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Make even cuts along the top of the pastry to assist serving after cooking (see picture).
- Repeat step 4 with the other 2 sheets of pastry. (If preparing ahead, sausage rolls can be placed in the freezer at this point. When ready to prepare, defrost before baking).
- Place sausage rolls in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 200°C or until golden brown. Serve with your choice of sauce (I like tomato chutney!)